Feb 1, 2010

The winner: Cinnamon Roll Muffins

The winner of last weeks poll was the cinnamon rolls muffins which, honestly, weren't as exciting as I'd hoped they be. I know, dissapointing. I think it's because I used the gluten free flour (Can you blame me? I wanted some cinnamon rolls for breakfast!) But next time I'm doing baking, I'll just use regular flour. Way easier and then I'm not tempted to eat it in excessive amounts. So please ignore how strange they look, because that is only the flour. If you used normal flour, they would puff up and be taller than the muffin tins and the dough would also be a lot easier to roll. So! That being said, here's how you make them!



1 cup milk
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
3 1/2 cups flour
4 Tbsp soft butter
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 375F. Put the milk and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk together with a fork. In a big bowl, stir together the borwn sugar, salt and baking soda.Once those are all mixed together, add the eggs, vanilla, and milk mixture. Stir in the flour.


Once it's mostly combined, knead it with your hands. Pour flour alllllll over your counter (like I said before, go ahead. make a mess. you know you want to) and transfer the dough there. Roll it out into a 12 x 24 inch rectangle. This is about where I realized I should have just used regular flour. The dough seemed too dry, so I kneaded in some more milk and tried again. But then the dough didn't really want to roll out and was flakey so I had to split the dough into two batches. But eventually I got it rolled out and it was fine.

Now you should make your butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture. I also changed it up here. I wanted more like a spread so I used twice the amount of butter, melted it, and then mixed in the sugar and cinnamon. Then I had a thick (delicious) spread.
So spread it all over the rolled out dough (leave about a centimeter of space around the edges though).

The extra butter means that it won't be as sweet, so I sprinkled some extra cinnamon and sugar on top of the dough. Roll up the dough into a log and cut it into 1-2 inch sections. Put the sections in a greased or lined muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes.
I also made the same frosting that I made for the regular cinnamon rolls, which was delicious on the finished muffins.
Overall, these muffins weren't bad, but I think in the future, I'll just stick with regular cinnamon rolls cooked with regular wheat flour.
Don't forget to vote for next weeks winner!
XOXO
Natalie


1 comment: