Mar 17, 2010

healthy is tough


So I've been talking a lot about being healthier lately. And now I'm starting to get really frustrated with it. Well, ok so background information first. In high school I maintained my weight. I didn't really like it, but I was the same weight for all four years. When I got to school last year, I lost about ten pounds because I was unintentionally anorexic. I really didn't want to be, but I just couldn't eat anything in the dining hall except rice and salad. Now I have a kitchen, and I've gone back to the weight I was in high school. I'm not really sure if that's a good thing because on the one hand, If I'm eating like a normal person now and I'm back to that weight, is that the weight I'm supposed to be? But on the other hand, I hate this weight! I want to be skinnier again!
And now I'm starting to get frustrated. I know I only started to eat healthier recently, but I haven't lost any weight. In fact, I've gained weight! Which just doesn't seem fair at all.I'm not really sure what to do next. I'm going to start going to the gym, and try eating less. But I don't know if that will make a difference. I mean, last year I worked out for a while, but it was so aggravating that I just stopped. And I don't know how I can eat less, because I think that I eat pretty normal portions, and I don't want to feel hungry all the time. Sorry that this is such a girly rant, but I've been really bothered by
that lately.Ugh and now I'm going to give you a recipe that goes against that whole rant entirely. I had never had chicken and dumplings before because they don't usually make them gluten free. So when I had the chance to make chicken and dumplings with gluten free flour, I decided that I just had to try it. but I promise I didn't eat a lot. Cause that would be bad.

6 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
5 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp heavy cream
4 cups cooked chicken meat, chopped
4 carrots, diced
1/2 onion, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
1 tsp chicken base
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1 cup milk
4 tbsp butter, melted

Melt the butter in a big pot. Then sprinkle in the flour. Do you remember how we made a roux in the macaroni and cheese? We're doing that again! Whisk it together to get rid of any lumps and let it cook for a few minutes until it turns golden. Add the chicken stock and the cream and continue stirring. Bring it to a simmer, stirring it every now and then, so that the flour doesn't lump together. When it comes to a simmer, add the chicken, vegetables, and chicken base.

Stir it and then try the broth. Add salt and pepper as you see fit. I added a lot, cause that's how I roll. Let it continue cooking while you make the dumplings. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Shake it together, then add the milk and melted butter. Stir it together until just combined.

Using two spoons (or your hands) form dumplings into a ball and drop into the broth. Once all the dumpling dough is in the pot, cover it, turn down the heat and let it cook for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes test the dumplings for done-ness with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, it's time to eat! So dig in!
XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment