Mar 8, 2010

Beans are healthy too, right?


ALLLLLRIGHTY I've got a delicious and unhealthy recipe for you today. And yes, I do remember that like two posts ago I said that I was going to be healthier. But this is an exception. There are beans (a lot of beans) in this, and beans have protein. so....HA! These baked beans are now healthy!I actually have two baked bean recipes, this one is from pioneer woman and is the more complicated one of the two. It's probably better for like parties and family gatherings. The other one I have (which I will post at some point) is more like a quick thing to throw together as a side. Anyway, here's how you do it!

8 slices of bacon
1 med onion, cut into a small dice
1/2 med green pepper, cut into a small dice (optional)
3 large cans of baked beans (with pork please)
3/4 cup bbq sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup distilled or cider vinegar
2 tsp dry mustard or 2 tbsp dijon

Preheat the oven to 325F. Then crack open a thing of bacon and get frying! Fry the pieces of bacon until almost crispy.
They're gonna cook in the oven, so you don't want them to be completely cooked. Take the bacon out and put it on a plate with paper towels. Then add the onions and peppers if you use them.
And now I would like to tell you what usually happens when I make this at home. Around this point, my brother comes into the kitchen and the conversation goes like this:
Stephen: Hey.
Natalie: Hey.
Stephen: Whatcha makin?
Natalie: Baked beans.
Stephen: WHY ARE YOU OBSESSED WITH BAKED BEANS?! Wait....what...what are you...ARE YOU PUTTING THE ONIONS IN THE BACON FAT?!
Natalie: yes I am!
Stephen: OH MY GOD! WHY?!
Natalie: Are you going to eat it?
Stephen:...YES...
Natalie: Then shut up and pretend you didn't see it.
Then he leaves and I assume forgets about it, because he ends up eating them anyway.
Anyhoo! Next step! Cook the onions and peppers for about 5 minutes until they're tender. Then dump the beans and all the other ingredients into the pot and bring it to a simmer.

Pour the beans into a greased casserole dish and put the bacon on top. Bake them for about 2 hours, or until they don't look liquidy anymore.

I only baked these for about an hour because I had quartered the recipe. So if you aren't using the whole recipe, just check on it every now and then and see how it's doing.
We had these baked beans with (semi) bbq chicken. It was raining, so I couldn't actually grill the chicken. So instead, I just fried it up in a pan with some bbq sauce! yummy.

And that's how you make delicious baked beans!
XOXO
Natalie

1 comment:

  1. its funny, but i know EXACTLY how that conversation with you and stephen would sound...... love it!

    ReplyDelete