Apr 28, 2010

eggpocalypse!

So a couple weeks ago me and my roomies went to Safeway and they had this deal going that was "buy one 18 pack of eggs, get a second free." So we went for it and bought 36 eggs. We've done this before and never really had a problem with finishing them. But this time around...we kind of forgot about them. I looked in the fridge last weekend and noticed that the eggs expired in 6 days. 6 days! So I freaked out and ordered everyone to start eating eggs. Nothing else! Just eggs! the eggpocalypse was upon us.
I looked up ways to use a lot of eggs at once and I found a really awesome recipe. It's a ham and cheese frittata and it was soooooo good. Also used up 12 eggs, so that was super helpful. I forgot to take pictures because I'm a failure, but I promise it was beautiful and tasty. Here's how you make it!

adapted from allrecipes
6 Tbsp oil
4 cups frozen hashbrowns
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb baked ham cut into cubes
12 eggs
6 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp seasoning mix (we used pappy spice, and the closest equivalent is probably italian seasoning)
2 cups shredded cheese
salsa (optional)

In a skillet, heat up oil and then add the frozen hashbrowns. Cook them for about 8-10 minutes until they are almost brown. Then add the salt, pepper, and ham and let cook for 2-3 more minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together the eggs, milk, and seasoning mix. Grease a 9x13 baking pan and layer the potatoes on the bottom. Pour the eggs on top, making sure that they are spread throughout the potatoes. Bake, covered, in 350F oven for 15 minutes then cover with the shredded cheese. Bake for 15 more minutes, or until the eggs are set. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if you like, but I liked it better plain.
XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment