Apr 5, 2010

Easter Brisket


Hope everyone had a happy easter! I know I had a crazy one! I basically spent the whole day cooking, but hey, I'm totally ok with that. I wanted to make a nice easter dinner for my roomies, so we had beef brisket, scalloped potatoes (and mashed potatoes cause Andy begged me to make them), and carrot cake. Well those are the things I made anyway, we also had dinner rolls but I just got those from a can. *shame* I'll be posting all those recipes this week, but I thought I'd start off with the main course: beef brisket. This is pioneer woman's recipe for brisket and it is the most ridiculously easy thing I could imagine. So here's how you do it!

1 5-8 lb brisket, with the fat mostly trimmed
1 22 oz bottle of ketchup
1 packet of onion soup mix

So this isn't something you can just do in a day. I almost didn't get to make this cause I forgot about marinating it. Luckily I happened to look at the recipe the night before! This needs to marinate for at least 12 hours, so you can do it right before you go to bed and then put it in the oven in the morning. So first you need to trim the brisket. Ours was trimmed on one side but the other
side was ridiculously fatty. So I got Dan to help me cut it all off. At one point he just started tearing chunks off!

While you get someone else to do that for you, you can make the marinade. Just dump that bottle of ketchup into a bowl, and mix in the onion soup mix. Add about a cup of water to thin it out a bit and stir it all up. Once the meat is trimmed, but it in a 9X13 baking dish and pour the marinade on top. Tightly cover it with foil and put it in the fridge.
When you want to actually start making it, just preheat the oven to 275F and, once it's hot, put the covered brisket in. That easy! It should cook for 6-8 hours depending on how big it is. Mine cooked for 7, but it could have easily gone another hour. After 3 hours, take it out of the oven and flip it over.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL! there is a lot of liquid in the pan and it hasn't all cooked down yet. While trying to put it back in the oven I sloshed some all over my leg. Luckily I had the good sense to put the brisket down instead of throwing it, and then running into the shower. So my leg didn't burn that bad at all, but seriously! It hurt! So don't make the same mistake I did! Bt on the plus side, it also got me the nickname easter burney. which I thought was pretty awesome.
Anyway, after another three hours check on it to see if it's done. Just take two forks and try and pull the meat apart, if it resists at all, then it's not done. Put it back for another hour. After 7 hours, the meat was falling apart when I tested it, which is awesome. Also, after that long in the oven, all the liquid will be soaked up and the pan will look like a bomb went off. Don't worry about it. Cause dinner will be tasty. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and cut it into strips against the grain. Then serve it up! omnomnom!

XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment