Jun 7, 2010

I'm alliiiiivvvveeee


I'm here! I know, I've been MIA for the last week. I promised a recipe and then I didn't do it. :( IM SORRYYYYYY! I've been crazy busy and things are only just starting to cool down. I'm back home in the bay area now, about halfway unpacked, and just sent in my last paper of the year. So it is officially summer for me!
And now, as promised, here is the recipe for the Portal cake. This is a kind of strange recipe because it uses a cake mix and then adds a lot of other stuff. But gooooo with it. I promise, you'll love it.

2 cans vanilla frosting
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 package chocolate cake mix
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup vegetable oil
7 egg whites
3/4 butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup water
semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can coconut pecan frosting (I used double chocolate fudge chip frosting)
6-8 maraschino cherries

The night before you make the cake, mix the cocoa powder with 1 1/2 cans of vanilla frosting and put it in the fridge. The next day, take it out of the fridge when you start making the rest of the cake so that it will be easier to spread. In one bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a larger bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Then mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients by the cup full. Pour the batter into two greased cake pans and cook for 30 minutes in a 375F oven. I took the cakes out a little before half an hour, just test it at around 25 minutes by sticking a knife or toothpick in the center. When it comes out clean, it's done. Let the cake cool for at least an hour. Then it's time to put it all together! With a knife, trim the top of the cakes so that they will lie flat. Frost the top of the first cake with the coconut pecan frosting and put the second cake on top. Then frost the entire cake with the cocoa powder-vanilla frosting mix. Be careful, the frosting is really thick and is a little hard to spread. Then cover the entire cake with chocolate chips. Put 6 or 8 dots of vanilla frosting on top of the cake in a circle then put one cherry on top of each frosting dot. TADA! Portal Cake. Not a lie.

XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment