Jun 17, 2010

finally some food


Ok FINALLY a new post. I made dinner for the family last night and it was... surprisingly tasty. I hate hate hate hate hate spinach. But there's spinach in this dish and I liked it! So I'm pretty sure this dish is picky-eater proof. I mean, come on, I ate it and it has my leafy mortal enemy in it!
Also, I am going to Hawaii this weekend! My family and I are going on vacation and it's going to be awwwwwwesome. I'm going to lie on the beach, get a massage, and learn how to hula dance. So posts next week will probably not be food-related; they will most likely just be pictures of Hawaii.
Also also, sorry that the pictures on this post are so crappy. I took them with my phone in a dark kitchen.

Adapted from What Megan's Cooking
Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/8 - 1/4 cup water
red wine
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil (I used about 1 tsp fresh basil)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 lb pasta (I used the twisty kind. Just don't use spaghetti)
9 oz fresh spinach
12 oz precooked chicken sausage (I used chicken apple sausage), sliced length wise and chopped
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Bring a big pot of salted water to boil and preheat the oven to 400F. Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the onions until soft. Once the onions are soft, add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, and basil. I changed it up here because I thought that the sauce was too thick. I added a little less than a 1/4 cup water and a dash of red wine just to give it a little kick. I thought it made the sauce much more interesting. The fresh basil helped a lot too. Let the sauce simmer for about 1o minutes then add the cream and simmer for at least another 5 minutes. Then turn the heat off and wait for the pasta to be done. When your
pasta is just about done cooking, throw the spinach into the pot and let it wilt. It's really fast, maybe like 15 seconds. Then drain the pasta/spinach and put it back in the pot. Now add the sausage, sauce, and half the mozzarella. Mix it all up and then throw it into a lightly greased baking dish. 9x13 should do the trick. Top with the rest of the mozzarella and the parmesan, bake for about 20-30 minutes and dig in!

XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment