Jan 28, 2010

Evil TAs and roasted carrots

Ughhhhh, you know what sucks? homework. I've got a ton of it and I feel like it's never ending. But that's college I guess. And if I'm gonna be a history major, I better get used to it. Also had to deal with sections today. For those of you who don't know what those are, they are basically extra class that you don't get credit for. You go and listen to a TA talk for an hour. FUN! Doubly fun when you didn't bring notes with you and the TA calls on you to analyze two feminist essays. And then when you try to BS some random answer, she stares at you and you just finish up your sentence with "...um....yea.....that's...what I was thinking...." Next week I'll be sure to have my notes handy. And I'll write my name really small on the attendance sheet so she won't call on me. Also I had to laugh because the person that gave the right answer was a dude....in my feminism class. Maybe the proper response should be shame that my oppresor knows more about liberation than I do. But it's all good, because my breaks from work are fun enough to balance it out. Last night I made dinner for my roomies and watched the hangover with them. And if you haven't seen that movie, you really have to. It's fantastic.
Oh also: If you aren't a follower already, go click follow in the side bar! Actually, I don't know if it sends you notifications or emails or anything... Anybody know?
And dinner was pretty tasty too! I made pasta with meat sauce and roasted carrots. I know, strange combination, but we had carrots and I wanted to use them. So there. The pasta was really basic and I kind of made it up. ground beef, onion, seasonings and a jar of Prego sauce. Not particularly exciting, but delicious! What I want to tell you all about is the roasted carrots. I found this recipe on Pioneer Woman's website and I don't really know how I feel about it. I mean, it was good, but I don't really like carrots. I kind of burned them too, but I personally liked the burned ones better. They were sweeter and had a nice texture. It's probably the easiest vegetable thing I've ever made in my life besides salad. Which doesn't really count cause I only eat iceberg lettuce and that's pretty much water. Anyway! Here's how to make them!

preheat your oven to 400F and then go get your carrots. You can peel them, or just wash them really well. Whatever you prefer, but I personally like to peel them. Then cut them up so that they're all about the same size. (I cut them in half so I had two long strips, then cut the wider on in half again. That way I ended up with three long strips about the same width) Put them on a baking sheet and pour some olive oil on them. Then move them around so the olive oil coats them thoroughly.
Now here's where I deviated from the recipe. It called for fresh thyme but all I had was the kind in the jar, and safeway is wayyyyyy to far to go just for a handful of herbs. So if you have it, sprinkle fresh thyme over the carrots. If you only have dried, then use that and mix the carrots around so there's some on each. Then add salt and pepper.
Toss the whole baking sheet in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
I didn't do this, but I would suggest flipping them around once or twice while they're cooking if you want to avoid burned bits. But really, they're good with the burned parts too.

Hope you like it!
XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment