May 26, 2010

I'm an American

UGH I am having the worst day ever. And the next week and a half isn't going to make it any better. I can't wait for summer, but I really don't want to have to finish this quarter! So much work! So little time! I've got three more papers to write and three more tests to take. There just aren't enough hours in the day. Also I spend most of the day being lazy and thinking that I should probably start working. But anyway! If I don't post a lot in the next couple weeks, its because my life is falling apart and won't be put back together again until the summer. nothing to worry about. Speaking of summer, here is an amazing summer-y dish that everybody will love. And if they don't love it, then they can not rightly call themselves American. Cause this is America and we eat apple pie. I've posted an apple pie recipe on this blog before, but this is my new favorite! I mean, come on...look at it!

So without further ado--here is my caramel apple pie!

Adapted from Fleur D'Elise
1 pie crust (This is my fav crust)
3-4 lb apples, peeled, cored, cubed
1 stick butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
Juice of one lemon
1 egg
milk
Sugar

In a big bowl, combine peeled, cubed apples with the lemon juice. Be careful not to get any seeds in there! In a large pan, seriously it needs to be big, melt the butter and brown sugar together over low heat. When they are melted together, add the apples and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the apples are tender but not mushy. Stir them occasionally so that they are coated in the caramel. When the apples are done, pour them and the juice onto a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the flour and cinnamon and toss to coat. Let the apples cool until they are at room temperature, about 45 minutes. After the apples have cooled, prepare the pie crust and put it in the pie pan. Pour the apples and the juice into the pie crust and then put the second crust on top.

Cut a couple lines in the top so the steam can escape. In a small bowl combine the egg with a bit of milk and brush over the top of the crust. Then sprinkle sugar on top so that it will get nice and brown.

Bake at 425F for 25 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350F and bake for another 25-30 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend eating this right out of the oven. Mine was cooling for about 2 hours and it ended up being at just the right temperature.
Hope you like it! (you will)
XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment