May 5, 2010

Cinco de mayo!

Happy cinco de mayo! The most un-mexican mexican holiday celebrated in the US! Mostly on college campuses! WOOOOOO!
For my cinco de mayo meal I decided to go with a breakfast dish. The general opinion seems to be that I need more breakfast dishes, so here ya go--Americanized huevos rancheros!

4 Corn tortillas
Vegetable oil for frying
4 eggs
1 can of refried beans
salsa
shredded cheese

Pour a bit of oil into a pan over high heat. When the oil is hot, gently put the tortilla in the oil. The middle might bubble up, so use tongs to push it back down, otherwise you get round tortillas. After a minute or two, flip the tortilla over.
Once it is crispy enough, put it on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with all the tortillas then dump out most of the oil, leaving some for the eggs. Fry the eggs over med-low heat. Fry them however you like best. Andy likes them runny, so I fried his the traditional way.

But Dan likes the yolks solid, so I flipped his over to make sure it cooked through completely.

While the egg is cooking, prepare the tortillas. Layer the fried tortilla with refried beans, salsa, and cheese.

When the egg is done frying, lay it on top of the cheese and dig in! I tried eating it with a fork, but I got to impatient and just picked it up. But if you aren't as rude as I am, use a fork.
Also I tried something new today and took this picture outside. and Damn! It looks good!

XOXO
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment