Oct 13, 2010

College Casserole


So here's an interesting meal. It's interesting because anybody not in college may want to close the page now. You will probably be disgusted/insulted by this meal appearing on a cooking blog. However, if you are in college, this is the best thing you will ever eat in your life.
You may be asking yourself: How can that be?
This is how:
frozen ground beef + tots + frozen corn + cheese = college casserole.
Simple ingredients that ended up being staples in my fridge last year combined to make the most ridiculously fattening cheesy delicious meal ever. Of course, when I started telling non-college students about it, all I got were nauseated looks! I expect that as soon as I graduate I will no longer like it. So I post it while I can!
This is basically a trashy shepherd's pie. I know, Paula Dean makes a pretty trashy one too involving potatoes, biscuits, beef, sausage, and an insane amount of butter, but I think I out-trashed her with the tots.

College Casserole
2 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups chopped tomato
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tsp salt
3 cups frozen corn
1 32oz bag of frozen tots
1/2 cup flour
8 Tbsp melted butter
Shredded cheese

Combine the beef, onion, tomatoes, worcestershire, and salt. In a separate bowl combine the potatoes, flour, and butter. If this is an obscene amount of butter to you, that's ok. You don't have to use all of it, it just makes the crust crispy. Then spread the beef mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish, followed by the corn, then the potato mixture. Bake uncovered at 375F for 45 min. Sprinkle the cheese over the casserole and then bake for another 10-15 minutes.

It's super easy, and the guys in my apartment really really loved it. So come on, I dare you, make this college casserole.

XOXO
Natalie


1 comment:

  1. omg. that is the most hilarious, awesome thing i've ever seen. I seriously have to buy frozen tots just so we can try this at my house....

    ReplyDelete